The Romance Reviews

Saturday 18 August 2012

Over The Rainbow, 4 kisses - REVIEWED

My story Over the Rainbow (book 1 in the Watchtower Series) was recently reviewed by Michele at top2bottomreviews (link to review on their website is HERE).

My story got 4 kisses and a really good review. It made me smile. Am very happy. So here it is:

Blurb:
Missing: Prophesized warlock to the King. Has anyone seen him? Please contact your nearest guard station if you do find him.

Aidan never knew he could do magic until a cat dared him to have sex. His life truly must be tragic if even felines knew he was too pathetic to find someone to share his bed with. Unfortunately for him, the cat turned out to be his familiar, leading him not only to his First Time but also to King James, who in turn refuses to let Aidan slip through his fingers again.

For there is a prophecy: James can only truly unit the lands and bring prosperity to all if he has his trusted warlock by his side. Roping Aidan into coming home with him wasn’t the happily ever after everyone had expected. Instead, it set in motion a chain of events which would lead both Aidan and James further away from home than they could have ever imagined.

Review:

I’ve never read a story by this author before, and when it was given to us for review by the publishing company and I noticed it was labeled as ‘fantasy’ I was a bit hesitant to take it on. Though I am not a fantasy fan, I found that I quite enjoyed Aidan and his sense of humor, along with the world the author created. At the start Aidan finds himself speaking to a cat, now I’m guessing this is telekinetic by the cat and Aidan actually verbalizes his answers or questions to the cat. Whichever, very creative. I have to say I liked how Aidan gives the reader bits to giggle over, such as his mother and the name she gave him, and why she gave him that name. He hates it. Here’s some of what I’m talking about with his inner thoughts. 

“Why did you have to name me after the most powerful sorcerer to ever live? The one who died?”
“Your name was whispered to me.”
Aidan could barely resist rolling his eyes because, contrary to how his mother had raised him, he still had manners, and he wasn’t going to start disrespecting the woman who had birthed him. Even if she deserved it.
“Of course,” he said sarcastically. “Was this during emptying the bottle or after smoking the weed?”

You can tell by just that bit he has one hell of a personality; he’s somewhat sarcastic, funny, and up till the beginning of his story, very sheltered. He works in a tavern, he loves his job, but when that cat, whose name is Belze tells him not to go into work one night, go get laid, he shrugs and says why not. 

Now that cat, Belze, she’s a hoot. The author gave her a personality that I can see a cat having if they voices to talk with? They’d all be like her. Turns out Belze, is more than just a cat, she’s so much more and so is his lover, James, who he finds that one night he took off work. 

Then he finds out something about himself he never thought possible, and this is where the journey of Aidan, James, and Belze begins. I don’t want to give the fun away of this story, there is so much more to it than three travelers on their way to set things to right for their country. James and Aidan are two characters who turn out to be so much more than mere people. A whole lot more. 

I do recommend this story to anyone who loves fantasy. The author has a wonderful gift of storytelling and completely brings you into her world with her characters, their true to life personalities, the setting description, all of it. I promise you’ll enjoy the ride. 

Reviewed By: Michele

No comments:

Post a Comment