The Romance Reviews

Thursday 15 September 2011

Review for Salad On The Side

Salad on the SideSalad on the Side by Karenna Colcroft

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I like the idea behind this storyline.

SPOILERS AHEAD - Please stop reading now unless you want to be spoiled

I really like Kyle in this story and how he became a shifter. There no rules on how packs are supposed to behave. Every writer makes up her or his own world. In this case here, I have to strongly disagree with some view points.

The Alpha can use mind control to control his members. If someone is challenged and he refuses, he can be killed. Pack members cannot have a will of their own, they can be compelled by the Alpha even against their wishes. Women are valued as less than men. Overall I find these views a very old fashioned and not in a good sense. Like when back when women were cattle and were not allowed to have a mind of their own.

In a modern book about shifters I found this part of universe off putting because it cut to close to personal hick ups of mind.

Also, Kyle, the lead character, faking to go along wtih being controlled to give the Alpha the illusion of power I find apprehensive. I understand the logic behind it but don't much like how it played out. Again, these are my own personal issues here coming out to play.

I have heared of many good books which deal with certain topis like slavery, mind control etc which I have refused to read becaues I know I would only get upsed. Again, this isn't anything negative about the book just my own personal likes and dislikes. I am stressing this here because I don't want there to be any missunderstanding about what I said before. What I talked about here, were things that put me off for personal reasons.

The characters were very well fleshed out, the sex scenes were more than hot and the 1st POV is one of the toughest choices to tell a story and yet, it was done excellently here. I really got to live as Kyle, see through his eyes, feel what he felt. That takes more than just a little bit of talent.

If my hick ups aren't yours, then by all means, I can only recommend this book. :)



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment